Monday, February 4, 2013

Goodbye to Yesterday by Wanda E. Brunstetter

I was very excited to be able to read one of Ms. Brunstetter's books!  I have seen many of her books before and I know she is a very accomplished author.

This particular book is actually part 1 of a 6 part series.  It's more of a serialized novel.  Think of it more like your favorite tv show where you are left waiting for the next episode.

The Overview

Join Meredith and Luke Stoltzfus, an Amish couple who are faced with the greatest challenge of their young lives. Financial struggles. Arguments. A suspected pregnancy. A last-minute trip to Middlebury, Indiana. A deadly encounter at a Philadelphia bus station. Will their love and faith be enough to bring them back together again, against all odds? Book 1 of the 6-part serial novel--The Discovery-A Lancaster County Saga.

My Review

At the beginning, you learn about Luke and Meredith Stoltzfus who are a young married Amish couple living in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

We are introduced to Luke, who is an unemployed carpenter,  and to Meredith, who is a homemaker.  At first that surprised me that he was unemployed and concerned about money.   I live near an Amish community and most of the Amish also farm so they do have the income from that.  And they are excellent craftsmen and make money that way as well.  Many women also are crafts'women' as they sell the quilts and other items they make, such as baked goods, for the area stores. 

Something else that struck me as odd is the front cover in the book.  I don't know if the Amish in Lancaster County are different, however, I thought it was tradition that once they were married, the men let their beards grow?

The story starts off talking about the struggles Luke and Meredith are facing financially.  Then Luke receives a call from his Uncle who has a business proposition for him.  Luke jumps at the chance, but it means taking most of their savings, as well as leaving Meredith, while he goes to Middlebury, Indiana.  And unbeknownest to him, Meredith feels that she may be pregnant.

I was really hoping I would be clinging on to each word while reading this novel, but unfortunately I wasn't.  When the author starts discussing the first night Meredith is left by herself and when she lets Luke's dog outside, I thought there may be something happening when she heard the dog thumping against the door, however, I was left disappointed as the author went into great detail on how the dog circled around, left muddy footprints on the floor, and then settled down and went to bed.

I was able to receive a complimentary copy of the first series but I honestly don't know if I will continue on with the remainder of the series.  I have a feeling it will be very predictable.  I don't want to go into any spoilers, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I'm not sure alot of people are going to be willing to pay over $24 for a 6 part novel.  Her true fans might but as a first time reader of her works, I don't think I would.  Especially after reading the first series. 

**Thank you to Barbour Publishing for providing me with a complimentary copy for my review**

No comments:

Post a Comment