Thursday, June 6, 2013

Interview with Author Tia Shorts

I was lucky enough to be able to interview Tia.  Her book does a great service to those of us who are fashionably challenged!


What is fashionably challenged?
 
 Fashionably challenged is term that I use for a girl who is stuck in a serious fashion rut, or someone whoʼs on a strict budget and has to come up with creative (and inexpensive) ways to look fabulous.  That is a challenge!
 
 
What was your biggest fashion mishap?
 
It's sad but throughout the years I had several fashion mishaps, but there is one that haunts me to this day.

When I was a freshman in high school, I decided to shred the bottom of my jeans into long pieces. I thought I was being so cool and unique until I tripped on one of the pieces and went tumbling off the Metro bus face-forward to the ground. Even the bus driver got a good
laugh from my fashion mishap.
Why did you decide to write the book?
 
I wrote this book for several reasons, I started out wanting to help women become better shoppers, but then it turned into a full fashion and styling guide because I also wanted to help women feel more confident by learning how to choose the right clothes, shoes and makeup.
How long did it take you to write the book?
 
I have been working on Letʼs Go Shopping: A Guide for the Fashionably Challenged for about 3-4 years because I was driven to write a great fashion and styling resource for women. I put so many awesome tips and advice into one book that it could really be a series. I want to be known as someone who gives a good bang for a buck...wait, that could be taken the wrong way. I want the reader to feel like they are getting a quality product each time they pick up one of my books. I owe it to them!
What advice do you have for aspiring authors?
 
Writing a book is a full-time task. You have to commit to your craft and put 100% into your work. There were many days I had to spend writing while my girlfriends were out having a blast in the sunshine. If you are publishing yourself, you have to wear many hats and you have to be good at many things. You have be good at marketing, public relations, and be a little tech savvy if you have a blog. Organize yourself and prioritize. As an artist, I would rather be working on my next book than writing a press release or optimizing my blog, but those are the tasks that must be done if I want to tell the world about my book.
When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
 
That's an interesting question.  I considered myself a writer when my elementary school teacher pulled me aside and told me I had a gift of storytelling through words.  It wasn't until I was an adult when I had the courage and discipline to focus on my work.  A special thanks to teachers who plant seeds of encouragement and creativity in their students hearts.
 
Who is your fashion inspiration?

Victoria Beckham has a style that is timeless but also fashion-forward. She knows how to wear very simple pieces but in a really chic way.
 
What is BEAUTIVATION?
 
BEAUTIVATION is a movement that I started to help motivate women to realize the beauty and power that they have within. You have to recognize the beauty within before you can make the right styling choices because your style is only a reflection of your true self.
 
Why do you refer to yourself as the love child of Tony Robbins and Kimora Lee
Simmons?
 
I did not come up with that..lol. Tony Robbinsʼ is able to influence people to
dream big and take action to seize the day, and Kimora Lee Simmons is a woman who
is extremely focused and driven to succeed. I am humbly honored that my friends see
those amazing qualities in me.
What motivates you?
 
I am motivated to be the best in everything that I do. I consciously choose to win, and I believe that one should never doubt their ability but continue to grow and develop.
 
 
What is one fashion tip you can give to women?
 
Trends come and go. Stay true to what works for your body type and you will always be fabulous. Figure out your most flattering body part and wear clothes that highlight and accentuate that area.

Confidence is also the key!
 
 
What is major fashion faux pas?
 
Thereʼs two... imitation handbags and wearing labels from head to toe.  There is nothing worse than being a walking billboard for a designer brand.
 
 
What is a good shopping tip?
 
Shop when you look good and feel great, otherwise you will feel like nothing looks good on you.  Also, use the internet to scope out the great deals before you head out to the mall.  You must be a prepared and organized shopper if you want to save money.
 
Do you work another job as well as writing your book?
 
No, this is it.  In fact, I was working as a makeup artist when I decided to retire and focus on my writing. Without a steady income, I have to make this work, but I believe in this book so much that it was worth the risk.  Plus, what is life without a little adventure and uncertainty.

What is the downside to writing a book?
 
There really is not a downside to writing a book because you are creating art. Like other good authors, I put my blood, sweat and tears into my work. I must say there are times when I get lonely from working on the computer for 8-10 hours a day and want human interaction...lol.
 
What makes your book different from the other fashion books on the market
today?
 
My book is different because itʼs interactive and personalized for the readerʼs
body type. As a woman, I understand the need to want to look your best, and I really
focused on solving the beauty and fashion needs of todayʼs woman in a simple, easy to
understand way.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment